- 1/4 cup (60g) ghee
- 3 brown onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Ground
- 4 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 black peppercorns, crushed
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1kg lamb shoulder, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 1 cup (250g) natural yoghurt
- Toasted flaked almonds, to serve
- Naan bread, to serve
- Steamed Basmati rice, to serve
1. Heat the ghee in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until lightly golden. Add the turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, peppercorns, cloves, cumin, garlic, ginger, coriander seeds, chilli and paprika and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until aromatic. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until tomatoes are pulpy.
2. Add the lamb, water and yoghurt and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours or until lamb is very tender and sauce thickens slightly. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
3. Spoon lamb among serving bowls and sprinkle with flaked almonds. Serve with naan bread and steamed rice, if desired.