- 600ml buttermilk
- 4 large (500g) skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1 tsp each celery salt, onion powder, cayenne pepper and ground allspice
- Sunflower oil, to deep-fry
- 4 burger buns, halved, toasted
Fennel and cabbage slaw
- 1/3 cup (80ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) chardonnany vinegar (substitute white wine vinegar)
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, toasted, crushed
- 1/4 small white cabbage, very thinly sliced (we used a mandoline)
- 1 each baby fennel and small red onion, very thinly sliced (we used a mandoline)
- 1 cup each loosely packed mint, parsley and coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup (150g) whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1 tbs chipotle chillies in adobo sauce (from good grocers), finely chopped
- Juice of 1/4 lemon
1. To make the buttermilk chicken, place buttermilk and 2 tsp salt flakes in a bowl and stir to combine. Add chicken, cover and chill for 1 hour or overnight to marinate. Combine flour, celery salt, onion powder, cayenne and allspice in a shallow bowl and set aside.
3. To prepare the slaw, place vinegars, oil, sugar, lemon juice and fennel seeds in a bowl and whisk until sugar is dissolved. Place cabbage, fennel, onion and herbs in a large bowl, add vinegar mixture, toss to combine and stand for 20 minutes to pickle slightly.
4. Half-fill a large saucepan or deep-fryer with oil and heat to 180°C (a cube of bread will turn golden in 90 seconds when the oil is hot enough). Drain chicken, discarding buttermilk, and toss in flour mixture, shaking off excess. In 2 batches, deep-fry chicken, turning halfway, for 5-6 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Repeat with remaining chicken.
5. To assemble, spread the the cut sides of burger buns generously with chipotle mayonnaise. Place chicken on each burger bun bottom, top with slaw and cover with burger bun top.