- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion, Finely Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Crushed
- 1cm piece Ginger Grated
- 1 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce
- 2 Chillies finely sliced
- 1 Stalk Celery, Sliced
- 1L Chicken Stock (See below for recipe otherwise use store bought)
- 500ml Water
- 200g Chinese Egg Noodles
- 2 Chicken Breast Fillets (500g), Cut into 1 cm strips (or if making own chicken stock use cooked shredded chicken)
- 100g Headless Prawns, Peeled
- Cracked Black Pepper, Finely Sliced Spring Onions, Chilli Oil to serve
1. Heat the oil in large saucepan over high heat. Add the onion, garlic, chilli, ginger and celery and cook, stirring, for 4–5 minutes or until soft.
2. Add the stock, water and oyster sauce and bring to the boil. Add the chicken and cook for a further 6-8 minutes or until cooked through. Or stir through shredded chicken.
3. Add the noodles and cook for 5 minutes or until just starting to soften.
4. Add Prawns and cook for 2-3 minutes or until cooked through. Sprinkle with pepper and divide between bowls. Serve with finely sliced spring onion and chilli oil if desired. Serves 4.
CHICKEN STOCK RECIPE
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 2 Onions, Halved
- 2 Carrots, Halved
- 2 Stick Celery, Chopped
- 8L Waters
- 8 Black Peppercorns
- 4 Stalks, Flat Leaf Parsley
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Sea Salt Flakes
Place the chicken, onion, carrot and celery in a stockpot or large saucepan with the water, peppercorns, parsley and bay leaves. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer rapidly, uncovered.
Reduce the heat so that the stock simmers slowly but constantly. Skim the surface of the stock with a spoon occasionally so that it remains clear. Simmer for 2 hours or until the stock is well flavoured and chicken is falling apart. Add a generous amount of salt to bring out the flavour.
Strain the stock through a fine sieve. Allow to cool, then remove any solidified fat from the surface. Refrigerate the stock for up to 3 days or freeze in ready-to-use portions. Makes 4 litres.